Friday, January 27, 2012

GOD IS GREAT!!!

He is AWESOME!
Finally, after worrying about it for almost 2 months, Ian's blood work all came back in the normal range for the neutrophils! Yes, I know, most of you have NO idea what I am talking about but yes, we had a little scare with Ian's health. He had been labeled "Failure To Thrive" at his 1 year check-up which led to x-rays, blood work and retrieving urine..with a catheter. As you can imagine, not fun for Ian..or Mommy! All of these tests came back normal except for his neutrophil count in his blood. Neutrophils are the infection fighting cells in the white blood. Well, he was battling a cold and an ear infection at the time so the doctor said that is what it could be. She did not want to miss anything though and had us come back 2 weeks later for another blood draw. This one and another one came back with still low ranges for the neutrophils. 2 weeks ago we received a call from the nurse saying Ian needed to be tested again and if they came back low this time, we would be referred to a hematologist to check for some not so scary things and some REALLY scary things. Of course after getting off the phone with the nurse, I sat down at the computer and started googling away. DO NOT EVER DO THAT! Oh some horrible things popped up. My mind, heart and stomach were SICK with worry so that night I talked to Madji (Carolyn's husband who is an ER Doctor) to hopefully put my mind at an ease where at least I was not all consumed with wondering what could be going on. He did and I thank him for that.
Well, Ian was tested again on Wednesday and today we had a call from the nurse saying they were back within the normal ranges!! PRAISE GOD! I have never been so worried about something. Being a mom and seeing your child battle a cold or a stomach virus is hard enough but the possibility of facing a major illness was TERRIFYING! We are still working with a GI specialist here in Colorado Springs to find out why he is still not gaining weight. The doctor took him off dairy to see if maybe that was the culprit. I am praying it is some kind of an easy fix like changing his diet. So far, so good!
I spent a lot of time looking up scripture during this time and it is amazing how there is a scripture (or 2 or 200) that will help you get through whatever you are dealing with. Here is the one I focused on during this time:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
             Philippians 4:6. 




Even though it is hard, worry gets you no where and there is nothing I could have done to make his blood get "better." I knew I needed to hand it all over to God. 


Here is our little man! How can you NOT smile when you see him?


Ian Alexander, we love you and praise God today and always for you! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ian,
Our prayers were answered. Memaw and Papaw are so thankful for your good health and your beautiful smile. Keep eating your Mommy's yummy cooking. :)

Day-to-Day Adventures of the Menzie family! Neil, Laura, Owen, Claire and Ian!

Friends!

About Me

My photo
Southerner and proud of it :) Air Force wife originally from Virginia. Met my husband Neil at NC State and instantly fell in love. Got married, moved to Texas, then California, Montana, Colorado and next up, Virginia!! Have 2 handsome sons, Owen and Ian, and a beautiful daughter, Claire. I am very thankful that I get to stay home with my kids every day!