Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Boy Who Made Me "Mommy"

On May 23, 2006, my life was changed completely when I heard "Congratulations, he's here!" from my OB. I knew what it meant to be a mom and to love a child but you never feel that love completely until you hold that baby for the first time and look into their eyes. Owen was a perfect baby. Slept well, ate well, smiled all the time, and hardly fussed. Then he turned 15 months old and something happened to my perfect little child. He got an attitude :) Thank goodness it was still an attitude we could control with time-outs! From 15 months until today, Owen has been a strong-willed child and I love that about him. It never rears its ugly head too much and I think we have shaped it into something positive for him. He is a leader and is not scared of new situations (which is a good thing being a military "brat"). Owen will walk into a room full of kids he has never met before and act like it is an every day occurrence for him. Where he got that from, we are not sure, since neither of us were real outgoing kids. 
Owen is a very creative and imaginative kid. He will ask to watch tv but will not just sit and stare at the screen. He is up and playing and eventually ignores the tv completely! He fills his time with dinosaur hunting, fighting off "monsters", pretending he is hiking in different locations, and pretending he is a dinosaur from long ago. 
Kindergarten is still fun to him and I hope school will always be something he considers fun. He LOVES PE (surprise, surprise) and says he wants to be an elementary PE teacher when he grows up! Art has started becoming a little more interesting to him in the last few weeks. Owen has never been one of those kids that will sit down and take time to color or draw. He was that kid with the same color crayon scribbling as fast as he could just to get it done! Now, I notice that he is drawing actual pictures and coloring within the lines! 
Owen LOVES to be outside. If we lived in a state like California or Hawaii, I am pretty sure I would never see Owen because he would be outside CONSTANTLY.  I know living in Virginia will allow him to spend a little more time outside than he can here in Colorado! 

Owen loves Claire dearly but will never admit just how much. There are some days that he will go up to Claire and tell her she looks beautiful or that her hair looks nice. I love that about him. He thinks Ian is the best thing ever and cannot wait for him to grow up a little more so they can wrestle and rough house and play legos together! I love that about him too. I also love that he still lets me kiss him in the mornings before school and does not care who sees us. I know that day will come when he will not allow that to happen, so for now, I will enjoy every morning kiss and hug! I will also enjoy that Owen still LOVES to cuddle. It may look funny to see an almost 6 year old in his mom's lap, but I absolutely love that he will curl up and let me hold him. 

Owen Gregory. My precious little boy who made me a mom. The little boy who looks up to me but will soon be too tall to do that and I will be looking up to him. The little boy who is polite, kind, funny and becoming more and more mature every day. The little boy who will ALWAYS be my baby. 



































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Owie Bowie, Papaw still laughs about the funny things you've said to him, some while being completely serious. You are a wonderful grandson and big brother to Claire and Ian. Please don't grow up too fast. We'll see you soon!

Love,
Memaw and Papaw

Day-to-Day Adventures of the Menzie family! Neil, Laura, Owen, Claire and Ian!

Friends!

About Me

My photo
Southerner and proud of it :) Air Force wife originally from Virginia. Met my husband Neil at NC State and instantly fell in love. Got married, moved to Texas, then California, Montana, Colorado and next up, Virginia!! Have 2 handsome sons, Owen and Ian, and a beautiful daughter, Claire. I am very thankful that I get to stay home with my kids every day!