Oh what a day it was. April 8, 2010. The morning of Neil's foot surgery. The day before, I had mentioned to Neil that I did not feel well and he "jokingly" asked if I could be pregnant. I shrugged him off and said absolutely NOT! He politely asked me to buy a pregnancy test in the morning so he could have one less thing on his mind before going into surgery. (he wanted to know either way). So, at 7:30 am I drove to Walmart and bought a test and came home to take it. As I walked up the stairs to take the test, I looked at Neil and said "I cannot wait to say I told you so!" Well, I was not able to say I told you so to him but instead, sat on the floor and cried. Not because I was sad but more because I could not believe it. Claire was only 13 months old! I was going to miss out on her next year because I was going to be sick, tired and HUGE! As the day went on though, I started getting used to the idea of being a family of 3 and excitement overcame me. Anxiety also did too..for the entire 9 months. (How in the world was I going to be able to do things with 3 kids? 2 of them being 20 months apart?)
I look back on that time now and laugh and look at our precious Ian and smile because God (again) knew exactly what He was doing! :) Adding Ian into our family proved to be perfect. He was (and still is) the PERFECT baby! My delivery was a textbook, make every other mom jealous, delivery.
Ian is a sweet, loving little boy and I truly thank God for him everyday. I now know that our family really would not have been complete if our little "accident" had not happened. His smile truly lights up the room and every one who meets him thinks all these things too. I have a couple of friends who threaten to steal him every now and then!
Yes, we may have had some "health" issues with Ian but I think going through all this with him has allowed me to see how truly blessed we are as a family. I appreciate my kids even more.
Ian is saying "da-da" but not "ma-ma"...makes me kind of jealous :) He is starting to try to stand on his own, which as you all know, is HUGE for Ian. He loves to be right in the middle of all the wrestling and ball throwing that goes on between Claire, Owen and Neil. Even when he is crying over something, he tries his hardest to smile or clap to let me know that he really does not mean to be "bad." He loves to look at books and it is so cute to see him sitting in his little chair with a book in his lap "reading."
Ian may have come into our lives unplanned and unexpected but he is definitely not unloved! It is amazing how much love you have for your 1st child and you think there is NO way you could love the next child enough..and then you find out that you can. And then you REALLY think that there is no way to love a 3rd child as much. But you do. Even more.
Ian Alexander. Precious little boy who put me through anxiety attacks during pregnancy but calms my daily stresses by putting his little arms around me to cuddle. Precious little boy who is happy ALL the time. Precious little boy who made me a mini-van driving mom (I still dislike that part!..haha) Precious little boy who truly is a gift from God. I love you SO very much Ian!!
Day-to-Day Adventures of the Menzie family! Neil, Laura, Owen, Claire and Ian!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Day-to-Day Adventures of the Menzie family! Neil, Laura, Owen, Claire and Ian!
Friends!
About Me
- Laura
- Southerner and proud of it :) Air Force wife originally from Virginia. Met my husband Neil at NC State and instantly fell in love. Got married, moved to Texas, then California, Montana, Colorado and next up, Virginia!! Have 2 handsome sons, Owen and Ian, and a beautiful daughter, Claire. I am very thankful that I get to stay home with my kids every day!

1 comment:
Dearest Ian,
Papaw and Memaw were so honored to be at the hospital just 24 hours after your birth. Naturally, you melted our hearts, as you are the "blessing baby." Your sweet spirit is already evident and we know you will make a difference in this wonderful world.
Love,
Memaw and Papaw XXOO
Post a Comment