Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Oh, Canada!



We made it safely to Calgary Monday and have had a wonderful time so far! Monday night we went to Olive Garden for dinner (YUM!) and I know what you are thinking.."Why did you eat at an american restaurant in Canada?". Well, it sounded really good and we were all very hungry! It turned out to be a great choice because while we were standing outside waiting to be seated, Owen got to run around. Instantly, he went up to these two little boys and started playing with them. Neil and I were amazed at how he just went up to them and was not shy. They asked Owen his name and did not understand him so they were calling him "Olive Garden". "Come on Olive Garden, let's run!" "Olive Garden, wanna play?". HILARIOUS. We started talking to their parents and guess what? They were american...FROM SOUTH CAROLINA!! :) They moved to Calgary a year ago for the husband's job. They both had southern accents and it was nice to hear :) Neil asked them if it was worth going to Edmonton and they said no, so we are just going to stay in Calgary and Banff, which makes Neil super happy! :) So, we enjoyed our dinner and then came back to the hotel that night to swim. The water was kind of cold so Owen was really not into the pool. 
Yesterday we went to the Calgary Zoo and Owen was in a weird mood for most of it. We were not able to get as many great pictures as we would have liked because Owen did not want to be held or touched at all. Weird. For talking about the zoo for over a week, he sure was not as excited as we thought he would be! He really enjoyed the elephants and the Python...great. :)Neil and I enjoyed watching the baby elephant play with the water hose and ball. It was so darn cute! They had a section called 'Destination Africa' which had the hippos, zebras, lions, and giraffes. There was a baby giraffe there as well that I would have loved to take home with us. Try to get that through the border :) It was a nicely laid out zoo and the weather was PERFECT. In the end, I think we all had a good time. Last night we tried a local burger place that was REALLY good and then found a park for Owen to play off some of his energy. We watched people kayaking, running, biking and even some rowing club warming up and rowing around the lake. If I lived in Calgary, we would frequent that park for sure!
Today we are leaving Calgary for a night to stay in Banff if we can priceline a decent price for a hotel. If not, we will still go to Banff but come back to stay in Calgary since it is only an hour drive. We hope to get some GORGEOUS pictures!




Owen looking cool at the pool! :) Notice he is looking cool on the side of the pool :) haha. 





















This is about how the entire day went! At some points he was in a great mood, and at others it looked like this :) 
That elephant behind us is mentioned in the Guiness Book of World Records for having the longest tusks..awesome :) 




Ok, so half-way through posting this blog, the computer stopped working, so the pictures were not downloading..I will try again tonight. I will post them all on Snapfish though so check them out there! I will start a new album so I will send everyone the link!






1 comment:

Ellyn said...

I'm so glad you guys are having a great time on your vacation! And I'm really impressed that you are blogging along the way!! I hope you enjoy Banff!

Day-to-Day Adventures of the Menzie family! Neil, Laura, Owen, Claire and Ian!

Friends!

About Me

My photo
Southerner and proud of it :) Air Force wife originally from Virginia. Met my husband Neil at NC State and instantly fell in love. Got married, moved to Texas, then California, Montana, Colorado and next up, Virginia!! Have 2 handsome sons, Owen and Ian, and a beautiful daughter, Claire. I am very thankful that I get to stay home with my kids every day!