Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Money Pit?

Neil left this morning for California and of course, what happens?? WE NEED TO BUY A NEW WASHING MACHINE!!! Last night I was doing a load for Neil and all of a sudden we smelled smoke and heard a weird noise, so I ran upstairs to see what was going on. We thought it was just going to be the belts that needed to be replaced but nope, I was wrong..the guy said there was no use in fixing them. So on top of a new fridge, landscaping, a fence, new furniture for Owen, and blinds (which we still need to buy), oh and mortgage payments, we are having to replace a washing machine that is less than 5 years old. UGH.
 I am going to make a running list of all that happens while he is at training since everything seems to happen when he is away. Owen and I always got sick when he was on alerts at Malmstrom. Now, we are going to be plopping down a ton of money on sick appliances apparently. 
Ok, I am done venting...

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Ain't that the truth...the hard stuff happens when they're away. How are you guys enjoying your new home otherwise? and the Springs? I hope you are loving it! =)

Laura said...

We are! It is such a pretty city! I just wish more than anything Neil and I could have enjoyed it together for more than 5 days :(

Ellyn said...

Oh no, Laura! And I'm sure this happened after you purchased new hoses for the old washing machine! Hopefully the next few months will go smoothly for you and you won't have to keep adding to the list!

Laura said...

Yes, it was after...the first load of laundry since the move. I have looked into having some of the parts covered under an extended warranty so I am waiting for an estimate from them. I am hoping it is cheaper than buying a new washer.
I just want Neil to be home. This sucks.

Every Day Gourmet said...

We were shocked at all the expenses you have with a new house. Just wait until the bills start coming in too. Who knew that you have to pay for garbage, water and the list goes on. We were spoiled rotten living on base. I am afraid that our washing machine is heading in the same direction. I am just hoping it will hold out for a few more months.

Laura said...

Yea, I am not even looking forward to all the bills..we put in new landscaping so our water bill is going to be OUTRAGEOUS this month...no shopping at all the nice shops for a while :)

Unknown said...

Maybe this will make you feel a little better - a week after my parents moved into their first house, they ended up needing about $1000 done in plumbing repairs. My dad wasn't at training - he was in the hospital and had open heart surgery about 2 weeks later. I was 2 years old. Sound like a familiar story?? At least Neil is simply far away, and not sick!

I hope that's the ONLY problem with the new house!

Day-to-Day Adventures of the Menzie family! Neil, Laura, Owen, Claire and Ian!

Friends!

About Me

My photo
Southerner and proud of it :) Air Force wife originally from Virginia. Met my husband Neil at NC State and instantly fell in love. Got married, moved to Texas, then California, Montana, Colorado and next up, Virginia!! Have 2 handsome sons, Owen and Ian, and a beautiful daughter, Claire. I am very thankful that I get to stay home with my kids every day!